Verse: Galatians 6:7-8
7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
There is a lot of mystery in following Jesus. A lot of things aren't "a+b=c" and it takes a lot of faith and trust sometimes. But if you are someone who likes things to "make sense", or likes to be able to have an understandable roadmap, this verse is for you!
I'm not going to go so far as to say it's a formula. But it sure sounds close. If you want to experience more of God's eternal life in your life right now, then sow to the Spirit. So what does it mean to sow to the Spirit? I think this would be a great meditation for us this morning. Take some time and pray about what it means to "sow (plant seeds) to the Spirit?"
If we roll with the agricultural analogy, I think we can ask ourselves some questions as we think about what this means for us:
- What small things can I do in my life that will lead to larger growth spiritually?
- How can I "tend to" my faith - or cultivate my faith? In other words, what things can I do that will nurture, encourage, and strengthen my faith?
- In what ways can I invest in my relationship with God?
- Agriculture has a lot of rhythms in it. What regular practices could I be doing in my life to grow my faith?
The scary part of this verse, is that the inverse is also true. So we could ask these same questions:
- What small things am I doing in my life that will lead to less spiritual growth?
- In what ways am I not tending my faith, or even letting "weeds" grow in my heart that will weaken my faith?
- In what ways am I spending time and energy investing in anything that moves in opposition to God?
- What regular practices am I doing that contribute to the weakening of my faith?
I encourage you to take some time with these questions this morning and ask the Holy Spirit to show you one thing that you can lean into as you tend to your faith.
I pray that you would lead me to one thing in my life that I can invest in to grow my faith stronger in you!